The current design of Florida’s state flag was adopted in 1900. In that year, Florida voters ratified a constitutional amendment based on an 1899 joint resolution of the state legislature to add diagonal red bars, in the form of a St. Andrew’s cross, to the flag. Florida’s state flag consisted of a white field with the state seal in the center. During the late 1890s, Governor Francis P. Fleming suggested that a red cross be added, so that the banner did not appear to be a white flag of truce or surrender when hanging still on a flagpole.
43 Percent of Voters View Display of Confederate Flag as ‘Southern Pride’
Alabama Dealership Offers American Car Flag with Every Purchase
Confederate monument in Tallahassee under fire again